Jonathan Blum’s fiction-writing workshops are among the best in L.A. according to “15 Top Writing Classes in Los Angeles” by Katrina Kwan of Writing Tips Oasis.
Welcome, writer. I offer a mix of in-person workshops in Downtown Los Angeles and fiction-writing classes on Zoom. You may enroll in any of my classes by scrolling down to the pay option and following the steps.
Please feel free to contact me with questions.
Classes are refundable up until 10 days before the class starts.
- Six-Week Workshop on Zoom (Saturdays, September 16 - October 21)
- Six-Week Workshop in Downtown LA (Saturdays, November 4 - December 9)
- Two-Month Advanced Workshop in Downtown LA (every other Saturday, July 8 - September 3)
- One-Day Class on Zoom (TBA)
“After a decade of writer’s block, I enrolled in Jonathan’s online workshop. Jonathan creates a supportive and thoughtful environment for the study of craft. He encouraged me to take risks as a writer and think deeply about stories in ways that I could never have imagined. His classes are truly life-altering. With Jonathan’s guidance, I applied to a number of top-notch MFA programs, and I’m thrilled that I’ll be attending Warren Wilson in the spring. I couldn’t have done it without him.”
“This is the best writing class in Los Angeles. Getting to attend Jonathan’s fiction writing workshop is like having the Iowa Writers’ Workshop come to you. Jonathan’s rare, thoughtful approach and innate brilliance will change you as a writer. Already I have had a short story turned into a draft of a novel and another short story published. Jonathan has helped me move my work to the next level.”
“I recently finished a writing class with Jonathan, and it’s the best writing class I’ve ever taken. He is supportive and his classes attract talented writers, so you end up being surrounded by and getting feedback from not only Jonathan but a group of gifted writers. The class was an inspiring treat.”
“Jonathan’s workshop was a game-changer for me. I had long been rejecting the techniques and habits of Screenwriting 101, and his class presented me with a more honest, organic approach to storytelling. He had plenty of expert knowledge to share with us week to week, but the core of his class was in guiding each of us to find our own way as writers. It was incredibly empowering, and I only wish I’d found him sooner.”
–Brian Tran, 2015 student
- Open to writers of all experience levels, including beginners. Class size limited to ten.
- We’ll start by discussing how fiction works, what makes for a good opening, and how to create and develop characters.
- Each member of the class will draft a short story or novel excerpt of up to 20 pages, to be workshopped by the group.
- You will read and discuss published short stories and do weekly writing exercises, designed to sharpen your fiction writing skills and generate new work.
- Throughout the course, you will study how to structure a story, imbue your writing with meaning, improve your use of language, and revise drafts.
Time: Saturdays from 10 a.m. to 12 p.m. PT
Text: O. Henry Prize Stories 2022
Time: Saturdays from 3 p.m. to 5 p.m. PT
Location: Arts District, Downtown Los Angeles
TWO-MONTH ADVANCED WORKSHOP
"Jonathan Blum is an amazing instructor. He really knows his stuff. I was a first-timer — never had I written any fiction. I genuinely enjoyed every class session. Writing is an art form and I am a much better artist because of this class and Jonathan.”
–Heidy Garcia, 2016 student
- For committed, experienced writers seeking community as well as support with longer-term projects (story collections, novels, etc.) and the writing life. Class size limited to ten.
- Each writer will be able to workshop fiction up to 30 pages.
- Writers will do at-home exercises, which we’ll discuss in class. We’ll also study published fiction.
- The caliber of instruction will be that of a course in an MFA program.
Time: Every other Saturday from 2 p.m. to 5 p.m. PT
Location: Arts District, Downtown Los Angeles
Texts: This is Pleasure and Because They Wanted to by Mary Gaitskill
ONE-DAY CLASS: Creating Compelling Characters
"I have taken many, many fiction writing classes, and Jonathan is one of the best instructors I’ve had. His knowledge of craft runs deep, and he is honest yet supportive. I highly recommend his class.”
–Rachel Vogel, 2018 and 2019 student
- Exciting, total-immersion course.
- You’ll study how to invent complex, irresistible characters that readers will care about.
- No preparation or experience needed. Perfect for beginners and more seasoned writers.
- Class will help you generate new work.
- You’ll put your characters into a range of settings, time periods, and dramatic situations.
- By the end of the day, you’ll be ready to weave new characters into stories.
Discover student success stories from real students:
I read fiction manuscripts, from short stories to novels. I am thorough about it too.
I will closely read your work, send you a detailed written response, and talk with you on the phone about the work.
The fee is 5 cents/word with a minimum charge of $200.
Let me know if I can help.